Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Uncertainty and Trust

A blog is long overdue, so here are my latest thoughts..

I recently took a trip to Mexico during my spring break. It wasn’t any regular trip; it was a mission’s trip to serve at an orphanage in the Baja. I had gone multiple times before, so I was definitely looking forward to this trip. I had never previously gone to this place with good friends, so I was pumped for this trip. My completely awesome youth leader was going. I had also convinced a friend from church and school to join us. Unfortunately, she dropped out of the trip a few weeks prior to our departure. The day before we left, my youth leader announces that he must drop out, due to medical reasons. The trip had gone from super awesome to just awesome. Now there isn’t anything wrong with awesome, so I had no worries. Well, as we are driving to the airport, we find out that an earthquake has just struck the Baja. Suddenly things started going through our heads questioning whether or not we should even be going. Despite what had happened, we continued with the trip. I was still looking forward to meeting more groups at the orphanage and making some new friends. Well, that didn’t happen. We got down there and found out that all the other groups had been scared off by violence in other parts of Mexico. Awesome had just turned into a week of uncertainty. Such a familiar trip to me had just become something more foreign to me than the foreign country I was in.

So what was there to learn from these crazy events? I started wondering from the very beginning of the week. I learned a very important lesson on trust that week. Through all the uncertainty, I knew I had to just trust in God. He had a reason for the group members dropping out. He had a reason for the other groups dropping out. He had a plan. The small group of five was able to accomplish quite a bit that week and impact many lives. Yes, more people are generally better than fewer, but God can use just one or two people willing to do his work. But if you want to do God’s will, you have to trust him. In theory, it is an easy task, but in reality, it is far from it. It is so much easier to trust in something you can see. We trust ourselves way too much, when we should be trusting God. He is the way and our guide.

My advice for you is to trust in God no matter how hard it is. If you follow him and trust him, he will not disappoint.

Yours Truly,

No comments:

Post a Comment